My Photo
Name:
Location: Genova, Italy

Hello, and welcome to my blog. I'm 30, and as you may have guessed from my blog's title, I'm working in Italy. Genova to be precise. I've been here since June 2008 and don't know when I'm going back to Scotland, if ever. I went to America a couple of years ago and wrote a lot of waffle. If you're bored, why not look at www.michaels-american-adventure.blogspot.com

Thursday 4 June 2009

Mostly football related

Hello once again mes amis

Time is a ticking on my time here this year, as I'll be home in depressingly familiar Scotland three weeks today. I expect this time will fly by, as at the moment I'm doing precious little by way of work so my days are generally filled with idleing. I'm not complaining - if I thought that it would help my job prospects I'd include idleing as one of my hobbies and interests on my CV. I doubt that it would though.

Last week you may have read that I have embarked on a campaign of fitness. Alas, this is going about as well as Napoleon's invasion of Russia (history fans) - I was a bit drunk on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, and over this peripd may have smoked one or two cigarettes. Still, this weekend I have literally no plans or money, so will be spending time by myself planning my next assault on the seemingly impenetrable heartland of fitness. I've had a wee bit of a sore back for a few days, which one of my students helpfully suggested might be rheumatism. Thanks a million!
Sunday was the emotional final day of the season before the long boring football-free summer. Genoa were at home to the lowly Lecce, and won 4-1. It was the final games for two of the Genoa stars before they head off to Inter, Thiago Motta and Diego Milito. Both are frankly too good for us, and Milito in particular is class (we call him Principe - 'Prince'). It was nice, because both were given big rounds of applause, and overall it was a good match for them, and for us.



After the game, there was a celebratory procession up Via XX Settembre (equivalent to Princes St), which then turned and went back to Piazza della Vittoria. There were loads of people there, with a lot of singing, flares and general good times.

In Piazza della Vittoria there was a stage with a ska band and comedians warming up the crowd before the players came on and gave there monosyllabic grunts. I have to say that one ska song is ok, but hearing 6 or 7 ska songs which are basically all the same was a bit much, and just about sent me one step beyond sanity. Added to this, I was very very tired from the previous night, and then there was a fireworks display, which you may or may not know, I don't enjoy. If I'm in a building, fair play, I'll watch them and may even enjoy them, but when I'm outside surrounded by drunk people and explosions, I feel a little on edge. My main concern is that one hits me and damages my beautiful face or some other less important part of me. Still, it was nice to see the players, coach and president come out and say hello and thanks. It was really quite emotional. Although also strange: when the players came out, to much excited shouting about Europe next year, they played Highway To Hell by AC/DC, which suggests to me that Europe is Hell, rather than the promised land that is just waiting to be conquered. Only time will tell...


I think that's all I need to report this week, so until next time


Toodle-oo





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home