My Photo
Name:
Location: Genova, Italy

Hello, and welcome to my blog. I'm 30, and as you may have guessed from my blog's title, I'm working in Italy. Genova to be precise. I've been here since June 2008 and don't know when I'm going back to Scotland, if ever. I went to America a couple of years ago and wrote a lot of waffle. If you're bored, why not look at www.michaels-american-adventure.blogspot.com

Wednesday 13 May 2009

A pickle of a conundrum

Ciao tutti

I write this to you stuck between what could be described as a hard place and a collection of minerals that have been super-heated and then cooled over millenia leaving a rock-like substance. You see, I'm watching the final of the Coppa Italia between Lazio and Sampdoria. In the age old fashion that non football types may struggle to understand, I cannot root for Sampdoria, as they are the enemy. But equally, I can't support Lazio as they're fascist scum. Therefore, you see my quandry. What's the greater evil: the city rivals, or the racist scumbags? I think the answer is easy for right minded people, but I've never claimed to be one of them. Ultimately, I can only hope that football is the winner. It would be quite satisfying if Samp won, as I have some friends that were misled when they were young and class themselves as Sampdoriani. Also, using some skewed thinking, if Samp win, and as Genoa beat Samp (twice) this season, it effectively makes us Coppa Italia winners. Glory, glory, grande Genoa!!!

Something else that I've consistently forgotten to speak about here. Sampdoria have a distinctive strip, and their fans proudly point out that it's the only strip in this style in the world. I haven't had the heart to point out to them that this doesn't necessarily make it a good thing. You didn't hear the first victim of pig flu saying that they were special because they were the first one infected. You didn't hear from them, because they were most likely poor and died, and no one wants to see that when they're tucking into their pork chops. If they had been interviewed, they probably would have said it was pretty crap. Therefore, being unique is not always good, as victims of bullying will maybe attest. For those not in the know, the Samp strip looks like a cycling top.

My life here has generally continued in the sex, drugs and rock and roll style that I've become accustomed. Just the other day, I was thinking how exciting a life this was, and how I couldn't understand the famous people who bleat about the trials that this lifetsyle brings. The fools.

I've been here almost a year, and feel thoroughly at home here. I don't need to be constantly wowed by life anyway, but here it's just a bit more interesting and varied than it was in Scotland. I don't know why this is. It may be to do with the job where the only thing that's a constant is the ease of it. I think waking up to 25 degrees and sun every day helps too. Of course, I miss those of you who read this back in rainy Scotland, needless to say. I booked my flight home t'other day, so I'll be able to see your pale smiling faces as of the 25th June.

Exciting tattoo update. I've booked my appointment, so will be getting it done in a week and a bit. I'm terribly excited about this, as it'll look super cool. There's a Games Workshop here, and my old mucker Dougie suggested that I wanted a griffin as a tribute to the years of my life where I stayed in my room playing with fantasy monsters. I can't say this is true, but I did go into the Games Workshop just to have a look. Unsurprisingly, it was full of grown ups with long hair, Lord of the Rings T-shirts, and presumably intact virginities. The models were still very expensive. But it was quite nice to go in and have a browse. I resisted buying anything, but curiously have had some dreams about the place. Maybe my subconscious is telling me to get back into it? I think I'll try to resist that urge.

Finally for now, you'll be pleased to know, I found myself with spare cash before pay day, so bought some running shoes. This may seem very unlike me, but maintaining my temple of a body does require the occasional offering to the gods of fitness. I've so far been for two runs, and neither of them was to the pub or to catch a bus. The first one was extremely difficult, as it's very hard to drink beer and light a fag while you're running.

That's all for now folks

Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home