My Photo
Name:
Location: Genova, Italy

Hello, and welcome to my blog. I'm 30, and as you may have guessed from my blog's title, I'm working in Italy. Genova to be precise. I've been here since June 2008 and don't know when I'm going back to Scotland, if ever. I went to America a couple of years ago and wrote a lot of waffle. If you're bored, why not look at www.michaels-american-adventure.blogspot.com

Monday 28 July 2008

As I approach the final curtain....

Hello from Italy everybody, for perhaps the last time. I'm still undecided about what my next move should be.

I hope you've been well. I'm either deeply ill, or my suntan is starting to take hold. I'm back tomorrow, so prepare to bask in my golden glow/give sympathy for my tropical disease.

Not alot to say today, as most of my really big revelations about Italy are for me, and not for you.

I did go to a wild boar festival on Friday night, which was quintessentially Italian. Except that it was well organised. But apart from that, very Italian. I had wild boar tagliatelle, followed by wild boar steaks. Followed by beer and wine. Was good, and nice and cheap. They had a band who just went crazy through their selection of 'oom-pah' songs. If the crowd still had working knees, I'm sure they would have stood up and clapped. It was in a wee town out in the hills called Ovada, and these wee towns regularly have random festivals to celebrate the local produce. In a couple of weeks time there's a garlic festival, and a few weeks ago Stevie went to an anchovy festival. They're nice because you get out of the city, so people are only 3/4 as rude as they normally are. It's a refreshing change, I have to say!

A couple of you have asked me about the girls of Italy. I'm only really able to say the look nice, as I've not really spoken to any at length in a social sense. Some have said that although you can't speak the native language it should be no barrier, as there's always the international language of love. This is a fine concept, but falls down in practice when you sit in silence repeating the few stock phrases you have. Also, my urbane humour and lightning-fast wit are lost in translation, even more so than in Scotland. But they are lovely looking.

Well, I think that's all folks.

So, break out the fine cutlery, chill the Guinness and wrap a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree, cos I'll be home tomorrow!

Ciao the now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home