My Photo
Name:
Location: Genova, Italy

Hello, and welcome to my blog. I'm 30, and as you may have guessed from my blog's title, I'm working in Italy. Genova to be precise. I've been here since June 2008 and don't know when I'm going back to Scotland, if ever. I went to America a couple of years ago and wrote a lot of waffle. If you're bored, why not look at www.michaels-american-adventure.blogspot.com

Thursday 12 June 2008

Now with pictures!

Ciao friends, countrymen/women

Don't worry, this will be brief.

I've now located an internet cafe that trusts people enough to plug things into the computers, so I've added a couple of pictures. Here:

I only have a few breath-taking insights into Italian culture so far. They are, in no particular order:

1) Scooters are incredibly popular here, and even my students admit they're low powered death-mobiles. I can't wait to get one.
2) Italians have few qualms about personal space - on the bus people are quite happy to lean into you, which can be nice or unpleasant, depending on who is doing the leaning. A particularly good looking girl did it the other day, which made up for the smelly old man on the previous day.
Also you don't have to pay to get on a bus - you just jump on. They have ticket machines, where, if you're honest enough, you can stamp a ticket that you may have bought. I've yet to see a ticket inspector. They wonder why the buses run at a massive loss, but only about 20% of people pay.

3) Doughnuts are amusingly called Krapfen.

4) Quite a few men wear pastel pink jeans like they're perfectly normal attire to go to work in. I've counted about 15 guys rocking them, so as soon as I get paid I'll be joining the herd like the sheep I am.
That's pretty much it I'm afraid. I hope you're well and all missing me. I've had a procession of weird dreams over the past week, involving Edinburgh and various citizens. I don't know what they mean, but suffice to say, I'm thinking of you.




Adios

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home