My Photo
Name:
Location: Genova, Italy

Hello, and welcome to my blog. I'm 30, and as you may have guessed from my blog's title, I'm working in Italy. Genova to be precise. I've been here since June 2008 and don't know when I'm going back to Scotland, if ever. I went to America a couple of years ago and wrote a lot of waffle. If you're bored, why not look at www.michaels-american-adventure.blogspot.com

Thursday 5 June 2008

Getting started.....

Ciao bellas

Don't be fooled by the first line: I'm not actually fluent in Italian, a problem which I never really anticipated as being pivotal until I got here (hey, I rarely plan or think things through). So, yeah, not being able to speak the lingo is holding me back a bit so far. I've not had much work so far this week, but will be flung to the proverbial lions next week, so hopefully will be busier. I never thought I'd actually want to get work, but there you go; everyday's a school day. As a result of (A) not being able to speak to locals, and (B) not having much to do, I've been kind of bored and lonely for my first few days.

Genova's a nice place though. I'm not much of an architecture buff, but I can appreciate the buildings and the loads of statues that are around here. I'd obviously like to put photos on here, but the internet café doesn't allow it. Hopefully I'll find another one that's more accomodating soon. But yeah, buildings. Nice. There's a big boat down in the port too, which although I didn't get up close to, I assume has something to do with Christopher Columbus (he was born here history fans). Imagine a picture of it here:

Just before the port is the old town, called the Centro Storico. It's like a maze and even born & bred locals don't know there way around all of the streets. A tip if you come here and get lost there: keep walking downhill and you'll get to the port. Oh, and don't speak to the hundreds of hookers. They don't love you, just your money.

It's very humid, and has only been sunny once. The rest of the time it's been a comfortingly Scottish mix of clouds and rain. But still very humid, so I'm dropping weight like Ice Cube drops rhymes.

Crossing roads has never been as exciting as it is here. They have very little regard for traffic lights and pedestrians, and one charming thing I found out is that even on a red light and green man, they can turn right. Everyone's on a mission to save the world, and they use their horns like their going out of fashion.

I can't think of much else to say really..... I'm going to buy an Italian simcard (it's very stylish, rude and uses too much hair gel) so my number will change. I'll let you know when it does. If anyone wants to email me, that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm off for a pizza, so ciao for the now.

Saluté asto cazzo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home