My Photo
Name:
Location: Genova, Italy

Hello, and welcome to my blog. I'm 30, and as you may have guessed from my blog's title, I'm working in Italy. Genova to be precise. I've been here since June 2008 and don't know when I'm going back to Scotland, if ever. I went to America a couple of years ago and wrote a lot of waffle. If you're bored, why not look at www.michaels-american-adventure.blogspot.com

Saturday 7 February 2009

Now with added cheer

Hello boys and girls.

You'll be indifferent to know that I'm cheerier than I was in my last post, my brothers and sisters. The literal flood of (two) emails that I received checking that I was ok was greatly appreciated. Ta.

So, yes, happier I am. When I last left you I teased you with the cliff hanger that I was off to see the Grande Genoa destroy the cretinly Catania (alliteration's awesome isn't it?). I regret to tell you that this turned out to be one of Genoa's poorest displays this season, drawing 1-1. It was a concern, as it looked as if they'd started to believe their own hype, and tried to overplay. That said, there is precious little hype about them - TV only seems to talk about Milan, Inter and Juve, which is a heart warming reminder of the 'impartiality' that we're fed in Scotland. 'We're' priviliged enough to be proverbially patted on the head by the guys here who are much happier talking about the big three. It's really kind of them to give us so much air time to be honest, but still annoys me infinitely less than the main commentator on ITV who just always seems to be wishing he was at Old Trafford watching the Man Ure. Uuugh! I'm not even in the country and he's grinding my gears!

Where was I? Ah, yes, Genoa v Catania. Genoa have a habit of turning up in the second half and then playing really well. True to form, it went 0-1, then the boys started to do good. Milito scored after about 77 minutes, and the atmosphere had been building up until that point like the rage in my ears when said ITV commentator is on. So, when he knocked the ball home, the pressure was released in joyous scenes around the stands. So much so, that the person behind me pushed me over and I fell about three rows down the stand. It was thoroughly exciting, in the way that the knowledge that you really could be seriously injured is. I was lying on the ground and saw a few people falling around me. It's true what people say - in moments of peril, things do become more lucid, and it was at that point that I realised that if I do nothing else in life, I have to watch more TV. But seriously, it was a bit hairy. I managed to cut my hand and bang my leg, but apart from that I was fine. The adrenaline was fair pounding through me, so didn't even realise I was bleeding til I got home. Brilliant times. Please enjoy the video I took before the fall. I didn't realise it was so short - I shall endeavour to take a longer one. You'll get the idea though - the atmosphere's great:




At the weekend I had a visitor over, so 'nuff respect goes out to Dave Bould for being the first person to visit me in my 7 months here. We went a snowboarding to Courmayeur, which is in the Alps and super expensive. Also very sweet though, much nicer than the slopes in Scotland. It was a great day of snow, and was overall just very fun. We got a bit more adventurous in the afty, and went off-piste a wee bit. This proved quite difficult for me, as I was trying to go down a narrow path quite slowly, which is really hard when your board is wider than the path. I had to turn my board to get through (which for the non-snowboarding literate speeds you up), which timed delightfully with jumpy bits. Not being ready in time I managed to fall and twist my knee quite nicely thank you very much. It was pretty sore, but like the big strong boy I am I stopped crying after 10 or 15 minutes and got on with it. Overall, a great day, but exhausting. Here's some photos:





Dave came to Genoa for a couple of days, so we sauntered round in the lashing rain and saw the inside of a bar. Truly the British tourist experience. It was really good to have him over, and it was nice to not be on my oddy knocky for a weekend.

I think that's all folks,

Ciao the now

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home