My Photo
Name:
Location: Genova, Italy

Hello, and welcome to my blog. I'm 30, and as you may have guessed from my blog's title, I'm working in Italy. Genova to be precise. I've been here since June 2008 and don't know when I'm going back to Scotland, if ever. I went to America a couple of years ago and wrote a lot of waffle. If you're bored, why not look at www.michaels-american-adventure.blogspot.com

Wednesday 17 July 2013

An end to the bacchanalia?

Bonjour mes amis!

And with that, my knowledge of French is pretty much exhausted. Five years of it at high school sure paid off. Cauchemar!

Life here in the land of the sun crashes on relentlessly, sweaty day turning to sticky night turning to sweaty day turning to sticky night in an endless cycle of futile repetition, like trainers in a washing machine. But you're not here to hear me grumble, you're here because you followed the wrong link. Unfortunately, by your careless clickery you have contributed one hit to my blog's stats, which do not count accidental clickage, only total views; giving the entirely false impression that you wanted to get caught in this increasingly long and winding road to nowhere, thus perpetuating the myth that people read what I electronically scribble, thus resulting in more scribbling. And so the farce continues ad nauseum, like the aforementioned trainers in a washing machine.

But what can I say? In the last few weeks I've found a project, then kind of lost interest in it, then become enthusiastic in it again, then not so much. It's essentially a microcosm of most of my life. 

But back to the start: After five years here, I was balanced precariously on the knife edge of staying or going somewhere else to spread the word of English and generally avoid reality. True, my bacchanalian life is no doubt envied by many, but just as surely as 99% of Italy adults don't know well the English grammar like they say they does, so the party has to stop eventually (of course, if you know me, you know this party I speak of is purely figurative). Which leaves me at a crossroads, with no guitar-skills gifting Devil in sight. 
Ho hum.

With this, and my crushing mortality tumbling around my brain like so many trainers in a washing machine (yes, I did enjoy Alan Partridge's autobiography), I decided that I either needed to do something semi-useful, or go. With this in mind, I decided to write a book. But now I'm somewhat uncertain that it'd be ok. Sure, I have a certain je ne sais quoi (maybe my French did pay off) with words, that's a given, but, and this is the most critical question:
Can I really be arsed?

The answer is most accurately transmitted with a facial contortion and an accompanying exhalation of air. I think my idea is good, and would add to the canon of 'football in Italy' books, and having checked the market, my idea has not been done yet. But is this because it's no good? Almost certainly, I don't know. I'm hesitant to spill the proverbial beans (the cause of the previously mentioned expulsion of air), in the fear that one of you clever sausages would beat me to the punch and be able to rack up a lot of debt writing a book that five people might read if the weather's really bad and a lightning bolt takes out the TV, radio, and internet while simultaneously setting fire to all the other books in a hikeable distance. Wonderfully, as noted above, I can see how many people access my posts, and assuming that only my parents return to duty-read, and everyone else I know has read once and then gouged their eyes out, it would suggest that I could potentially guilt many unsuspecting fools into reading what may become known as "The Greatest Story Ever Told" (not my caps, and I think a pretty catchy, and as far as I'm aware, as yet unused sub-title).

Time well tell, and to be honest, I don't really know what I'm doing anymore, so I should probably do something.

In other news, my continuing struggle to be a modern-man/not-totally-backwards-child has been continuing apace with the purchase of sandals. I already had the white, mid-calf length socks, so I'm pretty much the canine's testicles now. 

Now, I know you've been waiting for it, so here's part two of the occasional series, called:

Che cavolo succede!? 
(cue theme tune and dancing girls)

Hi guys, and thanks Michael. 

Two weeks ago I went down to see a couple of free concerts in the port, and it was most pleasant. One of the groups was En Roco, which my mate Fra plays in, and having not been blogging when their last video came out, I didn't post a link, but you can see it here, now.

Also, around the time of my last posts, there were a few earthquakes going on, which as always were super fun to be in! Thankfully, there haven't been any lately, which is something to be applauded and continued with, so "good on you, seismic plates"!

That's all for now folks!

(papers are shuffled, theme tune starts again and dancing girls return)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home